Monday, July 27, 2009

Blueberry Bliss

blueberry bliss 3

Friday morning, the kids and I set out on our second blueberry picking adventure of the season. We tried to pick blueberries last year, but a small crop at a local farm and birds eating up what little berries they had led to no picking. The kids love blueberries. Love love love them. Everyone but Lauren that is. She continues to have an extreme aversion to fruit (and has since she was 6months old). So she is by far the best picker, unlike the boys who tend to eat their weight in berries rather than filling their berry baskets.

blueberry bliss 5

I, of course, had my new camera at my side. I got to play around with the depth of field (areas of focus). And I got to hear lots of "Mom, take a picture of this..." comments. I was very happy to oblige. Little outings like this, just a few hours out of the house after some hair raising days, are what save my nerves during summer. And I promise not to mention how many more days until school starts, Cindy ;)

blueberry bliss 6

By the end of the picking, in just about an hour, we had 7 1/2 pounds of berries. Some went to my Mom's house, some were eaten at a little picnic lunch at a playground on our ride home from the farm, some went right into a batch of yogurt muffins with some mini chocolate chips, and some more are being saved for Andrew's birthday on Wednesday. He has requested blueberry cake for his birthday cake. The boy, unlike his Momma, hates chocolate and only sorta cares for vanilla... makes a blueberry cake just right for him. Hopefully, I can keep Jacob from eating them all before then!!

blueberry bliss 9

blueberry bliss 12

I have lots of things to share this week. I finished Andrew's birthday quilt!! I made two pieces of jewelry and I am not so sure I like 'em, there will be birthday post of course, and I am working on round two of the lickety split beads. I hope you'll come back and check things out this week. (and oh yes, I am still running! I started week two of couch to 5k this morning.)

7 comments:

Ellen said...

First of all, the look on Lauren's face pretty much says it all. Too funny. No girl likes her hair touched by her older brother. Particularly after picking fruit she doesn't even like.
Did you know that South Haven, MI (only 30 min. away on Lake MI) is known as the "Blueberry Capitol of the World"?
I must confess I'm not a big fan of that berry. Sometimes in pancakes and sometimes in a muffin but it's never my first choice.

Cindy said...

Love the photos, thanks for sharing, I love blueberries plain, eaten right out of the bowl after a good rinse!!

CindyW said...

Kerry,
These pictures are just popping off my screen! They are amazing. I can really see the difference with your new camera. Absolutely stunning pictures...and frameable!!! Great summer '09 shots. All that talk of what you're making with those blueberries is making me hungry!! Hope your Dad had a great birthday.

Eileen said...

you are becoming quite the pro with your new camera kerry...i love the pics...definitely a difference...
we love blueberry pickin' too...
btw...i peeked at the quilt and i love it...

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Great pics! And is it me, or has your Lauren finally started looking at the camera???

I used to HATE picking blueberries as a child and I swear my adult aversion to them is from my memories of being hot, sweaty and mosquito bitten while picking them as a child!

Flooring Australia said...

Hmmm it looks so much fun berry hunting. Lauren should get all the credit for finding the lots of berries.

Manila condominiums said...

That’s one delicious, mouth watering blue berry. I hope you made a blue berry cheese cake. That would be super delicious.