Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Easy Toggle Tutorial

Attention class... if you'd quiet down for just a minute, we can get through this quick lesson. Today I am going to show you how to make your own toggle bar clasps. They are fast, easy and look great paired with one of my big hole disc beads! Does everyone have their supplies handy?


What you'll need:

3in 16g Sterling Silver Round Wire
Round Nose Pliers
Chain Nose Pliers
Wire File

Let's begin...


1)File both ends of a 3in piece of 16g sterling silver wire.


2)Using your round nose pliers, find the center of your wire and wrap each side over the nose of the plier. This will form a loop in the center of the wire.


3)With the tip of your round nose pliers, start a small coil at one end of the wire. Stop coiling just before the wire end meets the straight part of the wire.


4)Take your chain nose pliers and tuck in the end, closing your coil. Then continue to coil in the wire another half turn.


5)Repeat steps 3 & 4 on the other end.


6) And you are done. This heavier gauge wire should be firm enough that it won't need tumbling.

Are there any questions?

7 comments:

deehebard said...

Kerry...thanks for the tut...but that bead is beautiful!!! LOVE IT!
Hope today is a great day for you!

rosebud101 said...

That is a fabulous tutorial! Thank you !

Deb said...

Kerry - Wonderful tutorial, now if only I could master the art of creating the big holed beads to go with it ;o)

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I teach wire work and I love your style. This is a great tut.

Anonymous said...

thank you for taking the time to post this tutorial. great job! lisa d., oregon

Lorin said...

Totally Awesome Tut.
Thanks so much!
You need to do a tutorial on how to make the bead chic!
Inquiring minds must know.

Diane ~ said...

Hi! I found you through a link on Blest's blog & I'm so glad I did! I've been making & selling jewelry for about 11 years now, but only recently have I wanted to learn wire working. Your tutorial was just what I needed.. clear & easy to understand directions & great photos!! Thank you so much for sharing!!! :)