Monday, March 07, 2011

Pause To Daydream

daydream 2

For the past week or so, I keep catching myself daydreaming. The daydreams are happening in a such a way and with an intensity that I am startled out of them with a moment of confusion. I can't remember where I am or what I was doing. Then, the daydream slips away and I am left with a sense that something is missing or not quite right. Things are a bit fragmented and much like a close up photograph. You can see with clarity the tiniest of details, but the world around the detail is hard to grasp.

Lately, in thoughts, I've...

daydream 3

:: sat in a rocking chair on a porch holding my husband's hand on a summer evening in old age...
:: leap from a cliff and felt the air rushing over me as I dove into water feet first...
:: rubbed sandpaper on a spackled seam and walked in a pantry in my home that isn't there...
:: seen the fabric of what feels like a favorite shirt on my arm out of the corner of my eye, yet I don't have that shirt in my closet...
:: bent wire in the same pattern over and over and over, but I don't know what I am making...
:: drawn birds and flowers...
:: cut off all my hair, again...
:: sat on cathedral steps with sun in my eyes and warmth on my face...
:: held babies that aren't mine and felt amazing amounts of love...
:: had my hands on the giant steering wheel of an old pick up truck on a curving road...

daydream 4

... and I have forgotten so many more. Where have your daydreams been taking you recently?

3 comments:

Christine said...

To the largish farm and farmhouse we don't have...with the horses and chickens and sheep we don't own.

Back to NY state to teach at a university with a doctorate in a field I am not currently in.

To the art museum I don't work in, where I am designing programs to show people how important art is.

To the day my oldest realizes her calling and embarks on a successful and happy life.

And to the day (that truly may never come) when I have enough space and enough time to make the art I want to make, without interruption.

*that last one really is probably a true dream! ;)

Cindy said...

Kerry, you are truly your creative self while day dreaming as well! Hmm...I'm day dreaming about antiquing again...the thrill of the hunt going from one booth to the next, imagining that just THE thing I am looking for could be right around the corner. And with a seriously fantastic price tag. Right now I am being interupted from this day dream by my 6-year old.

rosebud101 said...

I dream about beads. I see colors and shapes, and then, once in a while, I see the completed bead.