Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Another Artist Spotlight


Can anyone guess who's beads these are?

When I got my book deal, I knew, knew, knew, knew that I HAD to ask Jill Symons to contribute. I was turned on to Jill's beads a few years ago through the blog of another artist that is contributing (and yet to be revealed). I have quietly stalked her beads over the years. I lust after her control of color. At times her beads are simple, focusing on the combination of colors and quality of form. Other times, she is demonstrates a master's power over silver glass. Her beads are nothing less then amazing. Don't even get me started on what she can do with copper and clear glass.

Working on the book, I first came up with an outline of the projects I would write instructions for. When it was time to pick beads, I matched artists with projects I thought would show off their beads best. I had a very ambitious project in mind for Jill, and I was thrilled that she was game to take on the challenge of creating more then 30, THIRTY, transparent beads in all different shapes and sizes.

Just wait till you see what I am going to teach you to make with Jill's beads. You are gonna love it. But, you are gonna have to wait. LOL. In the meantime, check out Jill's website (ton of eye candy there), see beautiful photos on her blog, and she has an Etsy Shop too.

(ps... I am experimenting with a new photo style for the blog here. Bare with me till I can get it right!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what you do with Jill's beads. I LUV her work and proud to own several of her sets and focals - most are still on the 'strand' since I don't know what to make with them. Yes, her colors and designs and control are amazing. She and Heather Trimlett are the only artists I know who can who can pull a true, true blood red glass color. One of my fav pieces is a Jill red heart.

Have fun!! Look forward to seeing your other featured artists.