Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Big Kitchen Remodel Of 2008

I told you a few weeks ago that this was coming. I told you that in the couple of weeks between the art show and Thanksgiving, the kitchen was getting a face lift. You can see the first step in the project HERE. Yesterday, I started on the second step... the upper cabinets!


My before shots really leave something to be desired, I know, but you'll get the gist. The cabinets aren't as dark as they look in this photo. They are a light wood. We aren't sure what the cabinets are made of... maple? birch? Whatever it is, it's blond wood. Ron really wanted to rip all the cabinets out, but these cabinets are the good kind. Made in the days when craftsmanship was a point of pride... not a price point like in the big home improvement stores. These aren't going anywhere! The drawers are deep and slide so nice. The cabinet doors swing so wide, you have to step out of the way to open them! At one point, the kitchen still had the original extra wide stove. But I hear from the neighbor that someone got it in a divorce, lol. We'll be taking care of that extra space on each side of the stove. Goodness, those gabs catch a lot of crud.


It is hard to get a good shot of the kitchen in one frame. My kitchen sink looks into the family room, where the toasty warm wood burner is. See that shiny silver edging to the oh so lovely yellow formica counter tops? See why I wanted to do the remodel?


So, yesterday, all the upper cabinet doors came off, and the bases were primed. I'll be painting the first coat of "Linen White" on those bases in little bit. I know what you are thinking... Kerry? Painting white? Are you feeling okay? Well, linen white is a pale, slightly yellowed white that is very creamy. It is just enough yellow to balance the brown counter tops and blue walls and teal tiles. You'll see... it'll all come together.


The cabinet door face lift was Ron's idea. He saw an advertisement that came in the mail showing cabinet doors that had this little rails of trim on them. He thought it would doll up the doors and make them look a little newer. So far, having only 4 clamps in the house, this has been a pain in the butt. But, I am going to pick up more clamps today. Hopefully it'll speed things up.

Okay... the rough schedule for the next couple of weeks... Upper cabinets finished by Friday... Saturday and Sunday, replace the counter tops and put in new sink... next week, finish the lower cabinets and paint the walls... next weekend, tile the back splash. Here's hoping we can stick to my plan!

3 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

WOW! I'm so inspired. Our kitchen desperately needs a facelift too and we are planning to do the same thing with our cabinets. But My husband found at Lowes, this wood that looks like butcher block, and he'll face the cabinets with this, and put strips around the outsides like you have done here and then we're going to stain them with a semi solid RED stain.
I'll be posting pics when that project starts, probably will be this winter sometime.
Thanks for sharing this process, I love seeing the changes!

Cindy said...

I had cupboards similar to that in my last house, they were birch. I didn't tear them out, either. You are right, deep, sturdy and made with pride.

Anonymous said...

Kerry
I love Ron's idea with the raised edges on the cabinet doors...that will look GREAT. And you know I really like the color scheme you're going with! What an undertaking...but if anyone can do it, Team Bogert can!