Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bead Fest Wire 2010

my desk again

Yesterday I received an awesome email asking if I might be interested in teaching at Bead Fest Wire in PA in April 2010. I am thrilled to have been asked!! And will be jumping at the chance to be at such an exciting wire event. I am scrambling to come up with class ideas and would love your help.

I had it in my head that with the release of my book, I would teach an intro to wire class, but unfortunately, I have heard intro classes don't do so well. Students like classes where they get to spend a few hours learning a new technique and leave with a finished project in their hot beading hands. I have a couple ideas for projects from the book that I can teach, but I was thinking I should come up with a few fresh things too. OR, I could teach some oldie but goodies. There are just so many options and very little time to get the proposal pulled together.

So... give me some ideas. From you, the future wire students, what would you like to learn! What projects have you seen me make that you would want to see available as a class or kit? Feedback people. I need it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, that's awesome Kerry!!
I will do some thinking and see if I can come up with any ideas.

Kerry said...

Thanks Jeanette! That would be fantastic. I can't wait to hear your ideas.

CindyW said...

Kerry...your big dream has come true!! Bead Fest Wire....and it's within driving distance from me. I hope to be there!!!

Deb Cox said...

Congrats, Kerry! Bracelets are always great...usually have enough time to complete them...and since it's in April, something summery perhaps?

Cindy said...

Love the red and blue flowers, do you buy them that way or 'alter' them? If it's a secret, then never mind. HAHA

Anonymous said...

Congrats Kerry, you just keep growing. I would love to make toggles and fasteners out of wire. I see them and they look easy, but we know there's always a trick to learn.

Vikki

Anonymous said...

Congrats Kerry,
If I were a student, I would like to make a bracelet. In fact, I was in B&N last night looking thru the magazines and found a very cool twisted design that I would love to do, but would need a teacher to help me thru. I would go with a new design.
M

deehebard said...

Hi Kerry...I loved the class I took from you many moons ago in rochester...
I think a new linked bracelet would be great...and I am a big fan of the disc beads...so fun and funky. Can you incorporate your beads in the project? that would be fun.
I LOVE the beads from the ring project, how about something using them?

Alyse Bukoski said...

How about a how to on learning to make your own findings?

Toggles, clasps, ear wires etc.

You could incorporate the wire wrapping that you're known for into the class.

Although I do agree that folks like to leave workshops with a completed piece, I think that learning how to incorporate wire working into things they are already creating might be an interesting approach and leaving the class with toggles, clasps etc that they made would be great.

Just my 2 cents.

Can you please share details of the Conference?

Thanks

Jenn said...

Congratulations, Kerry! What a nice invitation!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to take the class (Hong Kong - Pennsylvania...not so easy a trip), but if I were, I love your Ring-A-Ling bracelets...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kabsconcepts/3607238012/

It would be cool to create a version of that bracelet that uses a different type of bead for each link and a different type of wire technique in between each link. That way, people get to learn different wire techniques, and how to work with different beads. Bracelets always make a nice class project.

Also, you could create class kits in various colors using your beads...

I'm REALLY looking forward to your book!!!

Anonymous said...

hi! if i were lucky enough to take a class from you, i would love to learn how to make your, 'icing on the cake' necklace. it's just so wild and fun! congrats!!!! lisa d., portland, oregon

Eileen said...

wow kerry...this is very cool...i may be able to make the trip to take this class...i agree with the bracelet idea, incorporating a toggle clasp and some wire wrapping...

congrats on the opportunity...WOW...