Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Lion's Share of Brown

Back on Monday, when I was plotting out the week to come, I wrote "studio day" right under the number #19 in my agenda. When I woke up this morning, and started moving through the day, I quickly realized I had no idea what to do with myself once I got to the studio. And that is never a good sign about how the day will go. If my thoughts aren't organize and a plan not in place, I find myself frazzled and not at all productive.

I sent out a tweet this morning before heading out that said as much.

Quickly one friend replied saying "Maybe this could inspire you, my color loving friend: Day 19: More Than A Trillion Choices" How did I not know about 31 Days Of Adventure sooner? Today's prompt was right up my alley. Alas, in my quickly-turning-crankier-with-a-lack-of-focus mood, I couldn't settle on a favorite color to seek out today. That's when I decided to let the color gurus at Pantone do the picking for me. I quickly googled "Pantone Color Of The Day" and learned today's color is LION.

My eyes instantly started seeing beautiful, photo worthy, shades of brown every where. More than just the barren muddy brown of the landscape, I found it in my hair, in my home, in my yard, and in my studio. I was a hunter stalking Lion brown and, if I was an actual hunter, I would know a good phrase to say I slaughtered my prey to keep the hunting analogy going... but I think I best let the photos tell you.

lion brown hunt 3
lion brown hunt 1
lion brown hunt 2
lion brown hunt 4
lion brown hunt 5

Would someone please remind me of this exercise the next time I'm lost and needing some creative focus? It is a delightful way to spend the day when you are color hunting.

(Side note: Once I got to the studio, I was right. My lack of planning made for a very unproductive day but I really didn't mind so much.)

7 comments:

SummersStudio said...

I do like the idea of having a color of the day to kick start the day. I'm kind of oddly stuck on celery green and now I'm seeing it with browns which is a nice change.

Alice said...

Beautiful photos! I love brown.

Thanks for the link to the 31 Days of Adventure. I signed up even though January is three-quarters over.

I did nothing in the studio today. It was a day for cleaning house, laundry, etc. Not so much fun, but necessary.

mairedodd said...

will definitely remind you! this is a wonderful idea...
i happily made something fun (though nothing on my list!)

Amy C said...

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing and so glad to hear you found inspiration from 31 Days of Adventure. It's exactly why the project is so much fun. :)

Shel said...

Awesome photos - as usual!! Great info for getting unstuck - thanks!

Cindy said...

I like this post, Kerry. That is a great idea..."hunting" for colors. Although "slaughter" is a bit strong. :-) Ha! Just kidding....you did a great job with the analogy!

Nicole Valentine-Rimmer said...

I have a artists color palette book and when I'm stumped I flip it open to a random page and that's what I work with for that day.