Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sweet Start, Not-So-Fabulous End

monday 1

Yesterday was one of those days that really flowed. Each thing I thought I'd do actually happened. I started with a quiet morning of knitting while the kids got ready for school. They are all really self sufficient in the mornings. They just need gentle nudges and reminders on what they need to be doing and what time it is. Okay, gentle might be the wrong word. There are a couple of kids in the house that don't like getting up. So, I have to flip on the lights in their dark and cozy rooms while saying about a dozen times "it's time to get up".

Once everyone was on their way I tidied up a bit and went for my run. I have felt awful, not just emotionally since Chicago, but physically as well. When I left for NYC in October, my 3-times a week runs just stopped. Then the prep for the show, where was the time to run? Then the show itself, and the aftermath. Oh and not to mention the Holidays that followed that and all.those.sweets. I know I am the only one that has the power to change how I feel. All the hard work I did this summer showed me I can do it. It isn't a resolution of any sort, mind you. It is a choice. And I am choosing to want to feel good in my body, and I'm working on it.

monday 2

I was into the studio just in time for some lunch. I set to finishing the last of the rearranging I started last week and then I did something I can't remember the last time I did. I wrote a letter to a friend. Like a real, honest to goodness, pen on paper letter.  And, I liked it.

The afternoon passed with a nice long, much catching up needed, phone call with another friend. I like actually talking on the phone so much... as much as writing letters. I've decided I despise email. Though, I know, I know, it is a necessary part of my business. I wish it wasn't so though. I wish if someone wanted to tell me something or ask me something, that they would call. I could hear their voice, I could ask them about how they are doing, nothing would be lost in translation, I could write myself a note of what they needed... sigh... I like telephones.

monday 3

My phone call ended as dinner prep began. We decided to have country style grilled pork ribs, roasted brussel sprouts and carrots, with some seasoned baked fries on the side. We eat good. We ate good. Homework was done, a card game of war was played, and a lacrosse practice was had. It was while the big kid was at lacrosse that the time turned not-so-fabulous. Ron had set Lauren up with a bubble bath in our master bathroom. Being 8, she likes her privacy. We don't stay in the room with her, but we were in the living room directly below her and we could hear her playing. I went up to check on her once she turned the water off. Then Ron and I sat watching a bit of TV. I'm not sure how much time had passed, 20, maybe 30, minutes when we started to hear a strange noise. Was the cat licking himself in a strange way, was is just the fire crackling? No, there was water dripping. My heart instantly jumped out of my chest. Something was wrong with Lauren...

I started screaming her name and tearing through the house and up the stairs to my room. As I ran I saw visions of her floating in the tub, lifeless. She didn't answer when I called her, over and over. I burst in the bathroom and she was completely fine... startled by my entrance, but fine... playing Barbies. I pulled her out of the tub, wrapped her up, got her safe, and we found the tub had cracked. Water was pouring into the living room ceiling. Ron had to put a hole in one area to drain the water and there will be repair work in our future. After those horrible visions, then finding Lauren okay, the relief that washed over me completely washed away any concern over the silly ceiling. I've never painted a ceiling before, but I'm game.

monday 4

Let's hope Tuesday is less eventful.


Alice said...

Oh gosh, my heart was beating frantically there for a second. While I'm sorry you have a home repair job in your future (never fun) I'm so relieved that your daughter is OK.

And being a stay-at-home mom with two of three kids having already left the nest, and a part time job, I prefer phone calls too. I dislike texts (and refuse to do them), and emails just aren't the same as hearing a voice on the other end.

Ornamental Style said...

Wow! What a scary few minutes at the end of the day. Happy to hear that your littlest sweetie is safe. Way to go on getting back in the exercise groove. And I prefer phone calls to emails, too. I guess that makes us old-fashioned.

Shel said...

Oh my - I'm so glad to hear all turned out okay - people wise. Kinda sucks w/the leak, but like you said at least the kiddo was okay!

I've had those feelings before - not so fun,...not so fun!!

Cindy said...

Oh gosh, Kerry! How could you not mention this! Maybe I don't let you get a word in edgewise. :-) What a huge scare. I'm relieved for you that Lauren was a-ok, enjoying her Barbies! But what a leak! Talk about a calm evening gone bad. I hope it isn't too big of a chore - you and Ron are the dynamic duo when it comes to house repairs!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I have had a similar situation with a child as well. She went for a 30 minute run while on vacation and was still gone at 1hour and 45 minutes. (Yes, searching, 911, the whole shebang). The vision of what you are sure you will find is like dreaming, in color, while awake. Beyond horrible. I, like you, was so grateful to discover all was well. It will stick with you for a while, that scare. It reminds us of our very good fortune. Thank heavens. Ann H.

Cindy said...

OMG.............Thank goodness she's ok. sigh........I have a hangover from the adrenaline.