Wednesday, November 10, 2010
1. You are my rock. I have told you many times just how special you are to me, how much I need you and your strength, and I hope you never forget how much I love you.
2. You are a fiercely devoted friend. There isn't anything you wouldn't do for a friend in need. But, sadly, you think our house isn't cool enough for those friends right now. That's okay.
3. You are so intelligent. Your report card today reads Math - 95, English - 91, Science - 92, and Social Studies - 93, and you aren't even trying. You even warned me in August that since this year won't "count" for college, you weren't planning on putting in all that much effort.
4. You like to argue these days. You have ideas and opinions all your own and you fight for their value. Someday, I think you'll know a few of those ideas are a little backwards, but I am willing to wait for you to come around.
5. You are tall. This is the year you will pass me in height. Never forget that just because you are bigger than me, it doesn't mean I can't take you down, boy. 'Cuz I can so totally kick your ass if I need to.
6. You are kind to your sister and love her in a way that melts my heart. There is a connection between you two that shows me you will be her rock too someday.
7. Your brother frustrates you right now, but I know it is because you are scared for him. You don't want him to be different, you don't want him to be bullied, you don't want him to struggle... you want him to be strong like you and you think your tough love will make him stronger.
8. You are pretty lazy too these days, if I am being honest. You hate to help around the house and it is only with threats of taking away your Playstation that I can get you to empty the dishwasher for me. Helping is something I hope you come around to soon.
9. You take after me with your looks, but you are more like your Dad than you care to realize and you two are really butting heads at this stage. He expects so much from you because he knows how just how amazing you are inside, he wishes he had that in him... but you think he is too hard on you. He loves you so much.
10. You can laugh so hard you can't breathe and no one has to say a word. You are constantly snickering and bursting out with a laugh at moments you remember from your day. So and so did this in lunch today... so and so did that in gym. I can't help but laugh when you laugh, but half the time I can't understand what you are telling me through your fits of giggles.
11. You are shy with girls, or so you tell me. Your team mates in football also sit with you at lunch, you told me they take your books and put them at the girls' tables so that you have to go over and talk to them to get your books back. You don't mind though.
12. You are handsome, at least I think so. You have such strong features to your face and when you smile your face lights up (your Dad's face does the same thing and it is something I love about him too). You hate your freckles though and you think they make you ugly. I used to feel the same way about my freckles. You asked Dad to teach you to shave last week.
13. You, my boy, are thirteen. On a crisp fall day in 1997, I gave birth to a 9lb 13oz baby that has become a young man I am so honored and proud to be the Mother of. I love you Jacob. Happy Birthday.