Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Balancing Out The Bright

One of the things I love about having a Flickr Photostream is seeing, so plainly, color patterns in the images. Yesterday, everything had hints of yellow. Today, as I loaded photos, I noticed everything took a turn to the rustic and earthy. Sometimes the transition in the stream in the palettes is subtle and other times, like today, it is more obvious.

foggy morning
rough wooden apothecary 5
rough wooden apothecary 3
rough wooden apothecary 4
resin time 3
resin time 2

(as a side note: My hubby and I have recently become addicted to American Pickers on Netflix. He called me yesterday and said "I went pickin' on lunch". It is something we both have always done with my estate sale adventures and his garage sale ones. It is fun now to have a little lingo to go with the junk rummaging. Check out the cool antique oak apothecary cabinet he found for my studio!)

Seeing these photos today compared to yesterday is interesting to me. It really punctuates what is going on creatively for me right now. The book I am working on writing at the moment couldn't be more different visually than my first. Color wise, it will be like seeing yesterday's photos (aka Totally Twisted) side by side with today's (aka Rustic Wrappings), when you hold both books in your hands. What is wonderful is that both are still so completely me. I love old rustic rusty objects and the sentimental thought/feelings to hold. And, I am loving the process of going back to my roots, so to speak (do you remember the days when I oxidized everything I made?), and exploring the wonderful possibilities in this design style. It is making for some really magical studio time, lemme tell ya.

I can't wait to get to that studio now and finish up the project using those little resin-ed papers. You know, pages from a love story, written and printed, more than 100 years ago makes for the best little details in a design.

5 comments:

Kathryn Dyche said...

Such beautiful images, I love rustic color palettes.

TesoriTrovati said...

I love the Pickers too! And I love all the cool things you are finding for your studio. I wish that I had a husband who appreciated those things too! I can't wait to see your new book. Can I pre-order it yet? Or is that a bit too early? I will be great, and the rustic part is so much more me. Enjoy the day!
Erin

Libby Leuchtman said...

American Pickers rules. I so want to go with the boys on a pick. Love the photos today.

Jenn said...

Oooh, I'm trembling with excitement over your new book! If you're taking pre-orders, I'd like to be on the list. :-)

Kerry said...

thanks so much ladies!

and... no pre-orders yet. not until november me thinks, or febreuary even. it won't be released until spring 2012, so sit tight. i KNOW it is gonna be worth the weight though!! so worth it.