Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Random Memories

I've been caught in a bit of a whirlwind... so much happening all at once... family stuff, book proof deadlines, unseasonable warm weather. Time flies when you're having fun and when you are overwhelmed by what life is dishing out. So, my apologies for my total lack of keeping to my posting schedule. Oh well... I couldn't have done my Friday Film post even if I had the time because my iPhone acted up last Thursday and I lost all my data on it. So the wonderful videos I took, gone. So sad. But I still have my memories...

st maartens 1
st maartens 2

:: our first port of call was on the Dutch side of St Maartens
:: my Dad told my I'd see water as blue as the sky and this was the day that happened
:: I signed up for the Power Rafting shore excursion with Tracy Stanley and her daughter, Kelsey. We were joined by one of the students, Deb, too. Awesome group of ladies to share this adventure with.
:: high speeds on the high seas and huge smiles and belly laughs when hitting the waves
:: I said in my mind and out loud "this is not my life" so many times
:: I snorkeled and it was freaking stinking AWESOME! I popped up out of the water to say "this is so awesome" so many times
:: Pierre and Eric were our guides... Pierre was captain, St. Maartens born and raised... Eric, a Frenchman, on the island for the past 4 years
:: Rum Punch

st maartens 5
st maartens 6

:: we dropped anchor and swam up to the beach
:: we giggled like school girls... it was a nude beach
:: there were naked people and there were cows... not figurative people cows... real cows... one brown, one black & white
:: what was in the Rum Punch?
:: the very first shell I spotted and brought home was broken and heart shaped... perfect for my Mom
:: wondering down the beach farther, I found a conch shell... bigger than my fist and broken by the rocks to reveal the coil inside... I smuggled it home, customs might not have approved
:: back to the boat by 1pm and time for a nap
:: if I ever run away from home... look for me in St. Maartens.

For those of you hoping to get your hands on one or some of the kits from Bead Cruise 2012, they are posted on my website. Get 'em before they are gone!

st maartens 7
st maartens 8

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Gorgeous!
1. It IS the rum punch.
2. Snorkeling is addictive. Beware.
3. Conch - I have a shell in my bathroom. THe whole shell. My brothers in law went conch diving witht he first mate while the rest of the fan snorkeled. We ate theta conch in a cinch salad for lunch that day. Customs (Turks and Caicos) helped me get it safely out in my luggage?!

Cindy said...

What amazing pictures and oh - the memories. "This is not my life!" .... I can relate to that. But at least it was your life for those few days. You were there and now you can keep those memories forever. That cliff shot is breath-taking. Thanks for bringing a little bit of the exotic to my otherwise mundane day. :-)

Erin Siegel said...

I've been enjoying your Bead Cruise posts, Kerry! Sounds and looks like such a fun adventure. I think I would have felt the same as you, just in awe of the experience! Thank you for sharing it all. I really do hope to be on that bead cruise next year for sure!

Annie said...

What I want to know is how do I get on the boat for Bead Cruise 2013 (PLEASE tell me this is an annual event!!). :) Looks like great fun!!

Kerry said...

YES! It is an annual event Annie. Check out www.beadcruise.com