Friday, February 29, 2008

Laughing Leap Day


If this doesn't make you laugh, I don't know what will! I am a little surprised that I am actually posting it. LOL. But hey, if you can't laugh at yourself... (does that line have an end to it? I can't remember.)

Last night, I had the overwhelming urge to make beads. Screw the cold weather! I cranked up two space heaters and went to work. You can see a hint of what I was working in fuzzed out in the background of this photo. BEAD BOX BEADS!! YOO HOOO!!! I am hoping to have enough for an update by next week. But before that, you need to know about this little dude.

After working on BB beads, I was working on a couple beads for myself. Hollows, again, for that new design I doodled yesterday. I was trying to work in opaques for these hollows rather then the usual transparents. THAT'S HARD!! (well, it's hard for me) Opaques are soupy when molten, unlike transparents that stay stiff. I was working on a big lime green hollow and all a sudden, it was TOO BIG! And it was lopsided... and it was outta round. I couldn't bring myself to just set it down though. That is what I do with beads that I am not happy with. They don't make it to the kiln, they just get set down to cool and crack and be cleaned up later. I don't know what came over me... I just started grabbing rods and started making a creature. It is my first ever "sculptural" piece, lol.

Now, I realize, my creature kinda sucks. He is cute to me, and I love him and he will be my new mascot on my desk, but I can't leave you with just this creature for the weekend...

Here are a few people that really know how to make some awesome creatures!

Aardvark Art Glass - LOVE Cathy's work!
Lori Greenberg's made a face or two.
AngelinaBeadalina - some of the most beautiful sculptures in glass you'll find!

Oh, and what do you know... they are all contributors on Watch Me Create!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee. Thanks for the link. Maybe you should come back! Let me know if you ever want to be reactivated!

Lori

kelbel said...

I Like Him!!! TOO CUTE!! Like a little bucktoothed dragon!