Friday, December 01, 2006

MIA

I have kinda been putting off this post all week. I really try to keep my blog lively and mostly upbeat. But I am thinking you may be wondering why I have been somewhat Missing In Action this week. Then again, maybe you aren't, lol. But I was feeling rather detached from you all and it's going to be another couple strained days still to come so, I thought it was about time that I explain.

My (step) grandfather passed away on Sunday. He was sick for a very long time and it was expected. He has been in a nursing home for the past 7 years in Florida and I haven't even seen him since my wedding in 1998. What wasn't expected was a funeral. Initially it was thought that there would be a small quiet burial in FL. But (as in very common in this dysfunctional side of my family) all heck broke loose and suddenly his body is up here in NY. We are now having a full blown formal service. Today I spent the afternoon at the first part of the calling hours and I will be at the funeral and burial all day tomorrow.

Under normal circumstances, a family would be happy to be together during a difficult time and thankful to have each other. Unfortunately, things are not running very smoothly at all. I am fine, and for the most part my family is fine. I do have one sane relative that I am really enjoying spending time with this week. But the whole thing has been really rough on my Mom. It is terrible to have to say but my grandfather wasn't the nicest man when he was raising my Mom and her brothers and sisters. She is very very strong and I know with support from my sister , Dad and me, she'll be just fine by next week when all this is over.

Anyway, I thought I should tell y'all what was up so you wouldn't start to worry. Thanks for your support, thoughts and prayers.

On a lighter note, I saw a fabulous necklace from Italy on one of the book club gals last night that gave me an incredible idea for a new piece. Stay tuned for it, I am thinking it is going to be spectacular!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you at this difficult time - familys are funny things.