Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Inspiring Exchange

I have had a really cool, behind the scenes, artist exchange going on for the past few months. And I can't believe I haven't mentioned it sooner!! I have raved loads of times about Cassie over at http://www.glassbeadle.com/. I have told you how she was my inspiration in learning to make beads. About 3 years ago, I found her site through the Bead&Button forums. I asked her loads of questions. Until then, I had loathed any and all lampwork I had ever seen. I decided if I could make beads... and make them as cool as Cassie's... then I had to learn.

Cassie and I have kept in touch over the past few years, sending "checking in" style emails every few months or so. We even tried to meet up at the Bead&Button Show last year, but just missed each other, though I think I saw her on the escalator, lol.

Anyway, I am rambling, I'll get to the point... a few months ago we were chatting about how we never keep any of the jewelry made with our own beads. And it was decided that we would do a fun exchange. We both made some beads and sent them to each other. We then made jewelry out of those beads and sent the projects back. So now we have jewelry, made with our own beads, that we can never part with since they were made special for the other!! I made a few "mini" sets like I do for my Bead Box updates. There were a few Mod Dot style beads, some Big Hole Beads, a few plain spacers too, a set of rustic plaids and some "cabs". Cassie really wanted a Playground bracelet of her own. So to me she sent a couple dozen of her discs!

I am going to say, I think I got the better end of the deal!! Look at all the cool stuff she came up with for me!! I now have two fabulous bracelets and a fantastic necklace. My favorite is the top bracelet. I can't get over her ingenious shank on my end-of-the-mandrel cab. It makes for a perfect button!!! It's so simple, it's brilliant. I am going to have to make some of those for my own designs. (And she is posting some in her own style on her website too!!) We both agree that this has been a fantastic exchange, not just for the jewelry, but for all the inspiration we got from working with someone else's beads.

Here is what I ended up making with Cassie's discs. Not only did she get her own playground bracelet... but she got TWO, lol. And I sent her a bottle cap too. When I started playing with her beads, I found they were in two very obvious color groups... brights and darks. I made filler beads and discs to fill out the design. Can you look close and tell which are KABS beads and which are BEADLE beads? I love Cassie's bubble style dots on these discs!! I gotta try that sometime :)

In other news... I am going to have to quarantine my house!! So far 3 out of 5 of us are battling a horrendous stomach bug. Lauren started Saturday, with Ron and Jacob close behind yesterday. Andrew is still in the clear and for now, I am feeling okay. But if there is one thing I have learn, it's that this bug comes on suddenly. So if I go missing... you'll probably be able to find me in the bathroom. Wish me luck and if you have any spare cans of Lysol around... send them my way!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the bracelet Cassie made with your ?lantern? beads!! LOVE IT! By the way.....you did not send out that stomach bug with the bottle caps did you??? Just kidding! Great work on both of your parts! Beautiful!

Kerry said...

LOL, I hope there are no germs attached to the caps Leslie... but you can rub it with Lysol if you are worried, LOL!!

Thanks for the compliments on the projects. I love that bracelet too. And those are "Lantern" style beads with plaid style lines. Love those beads!!