Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Man Oh Man



New things for The Gallery Store again today.

Way back in November, it was requested that I do some masculine pens. I have been so overwhelmed lately that this is the first chance I have had to get to them. For some reason, I have had it in my head that manly beads would be large, full length beads rather then several smaller ones stacked. I also think men would prefer rustic earthy beads over polka dots. Maybe I am thinking that because most of the beads that I see by male lampwork artists are big long beads. Check out the work of Trey Cornette. Okay, he doesn't have much listed on eBay right now, but mark him as a favorite... you'll see... his beads are amazing.

These are some of the biggest beads I have ever attempted. I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep that much glass hot. But it was easier then I thought. The beads are all around 3 inches long and about 1/2 in diameter. The pen bases are black, gunmetal and silver... some how I don't think you'll catch a guy using a lime green pen, but hey, I could be wrong. I kept things very geometric... lots of lines and grids. My favorite pen, by far, is the one on the left. The base is red copper glass with copper foil and silver foil burnished into the surface, and there are lines in ivory and black on the surface. Love it!

I took a pen and marked the mandrel to tell me how long the beads needed to be for the pen base, but they were still just a hair small. I didn't mind... that is the perfect opportunity for me to add a little wire work. So two of the pens have a long black coil that outlines one edge of the bead. I like the extra layer it gives the bead and pen. Too cool!!

Okay, give me some feedback... would or wouldn't your man be caught dead with one of these?

1 comment:

Lori said...

I love them!
Rob wouldn't be able to take it to work, it would walk off, but I can see buying a man one
I think they are terrific!!!!!