Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Insect Cemetary

I just came in from my second torch session of the day. And the only reason I stopped making beads was the suicidal insects.

I don't know what it is, but it seems that every bug in the county with depression issues can smell my torch. They come buzzing in my studio and straight into my 2000 degree flame. And the poor dears don't vanquish right away... no... most times they fly in, singe one wing, drop to my desktop, and spin in a circle for several minutes. It is torture for them and for me. I don't know what to do for the little things. Do I smack them and put them out of their misery and potentially loose a fabulous bead or do I let them spin and suffer in the name of art.

In the morning, I go back to my desk to get out the fresh beads toasting in the kiln only to find more insects gave up on life, deciding to drown themselves in my water dish. My entire work surface is littered with the remains of once vibrantly annoying insects. What is the insect world coming to?

Here is what I am really wondering... if it isn't a death wish on their parts and they only fly into the flame because they can't resist the bright light... then do they all fly into the sun during the day and that is why you don't see moths in waking hours? Isn't it the sun the brightest thing then?

No comments: